11-29-23 Mt. Etna

 

This morning:  I’ve seen this mountain from many places on my trip. It has always been shrouded with clouds-but today- it will not be that way.  

So, I found out kinda late, that my host offers tours to Etna. I made it a point to not tell him I booked a trip with a tour company.  On this morning’s walk I saw him, and of course that’s the first thing that came out of my mouth, “I’m going to Etna today”.  

He showed me very nice photos of his last trip up. Then later, when I was waiting for the van, he called the company to make sure I was ok. 

I met Carmelo, the guide, and entered the van which had three women already seated. They had really nice clothes and puffy jackets and were putting on makeup.  I was wearing the same shirt I have been wearing for 4 days, had a pack with my hiking poles attached. 

Carmelo asked us to call him Melo. Which means Apple tree.  He was speaking alternately Spanish and English. Turns out the women were from Puerto Rico.  After trying to understand Italian for 6 weeks, and because Melo was a linguist, he spoke such clear Spanish, I could understand most of what he was saying.
One of the women requested a stop at this beautiful spot, halfway up.  The roads are twisty and steep and it was a good call.  

Our next stop was a lava tube.  I’ve been in many lava tubes, but this one was started like a wave of hot lava flowing over a cooled, hardened base. It was a wave of liquid that froze. 
Looking back to Syracuse and Ortigia that is lost in the glare.  
Our ultimate stop was at about 2000 meters, 6200 ft. We had great views towards the peak. 
This is a heart shaped crater if you look closely.  We heard several explosions from the top crater out of view. 

In summer this place would be a madhouse. There were three giant restaurants, tons of souvenir shops and even a hotel, where we went to hang out before going out more. But today, it was perfect weather and hardly any visitors. Choice!!!!!






These small craters down the mountain towards Catania are rift zones where the lava comes out on the side of the mountain and not the top caldera. 

We had a tasting of local products- like wine, but also herb infused olive oil on toast. That would have been a classy ending. But it progressed to flavored jelly, (sugar!) pistachio Nutella (super sweet) then liqueurs. Luckily I brought some cheese and salami to stabilize my blood sugar. Then I ate an aranchine (rice ball with fillings).

Another great day- an unforgettable day I may add- in Sicily 

WhatsApp +17072241531

Lemonspomagranet@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naples 2

11-7-23 To Caltanissetta

12-6-23 Palermo