11-17-23 Modica

 Morning walk:


Somehow I knew stairs would be part of the morning.






Tafoni, the erosion of granular rock.  You can find it at Salt Point State Park on the Sonoma Coast .  (Google it)



Rita, my host had a nice breakfast in a room that had pictures of her extensive travels.  She has been all over the world. 

She told me about a cave complex, archaeological site outside of town and I walked that direction.




There were some nice rural areas to walk through.  

I find myself on another Camino trail.








At about the 3 mile mark, with 3 more miles to go, I decided it was too far of a distance for me to go. I have a hint of travel fatigue, which does happen.  I turned around and went back into town. 

Travel fatigue is a combination of a long period of time spent in many places. I don’t think you get it when you spend four weeks in one place.  Its a cumulative condition of having to reset your life every three days, with food and provisions that just takes a lot out of you. Having to remember where the bathroom is in the middle of the night wears thin after awhile. It doesn’t mean everyday isn’t great. It subsides after a four day stay, that I will have in Syracuse, where there may be opportunities to swim in the ocean. That would fix everything.






Tried to find the cemetery, but failed. It’s cold and cloudy now after a sunny day that was 72.

So I swore I wouldn’t give the Church anything.  No donation. But I saw a trip to the bell tower of the Duomo was only €2, so I put that in the donation box.  I headed up. The lady said I needed a ticket.  Rather than try and explain I just put the €2 in the box, I gave her €2 for the ticket. Ugh.









Look at that old wood. Hundreds of years old. 
The inside of the Duomo.



My lovely host Rita, gave me some olive oil so I can make lentil stew. An aranchine, or rice ball and deviled eggs are also on the menu. I’m sleeping so well because I’m climbing a zillion stairs and it’s so quiet at night. 

WhatsApp +17072241531
Lemonspomagranet@gmail.com

Comments welcome!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naples 2

11-7-23 To Caltanissetta

12-6-23 Palermo