10-30-23 Toward Castronova

 And back to Camaratta.


Just a couple loose ends:

So I was a bit out of my comfort level staying in Nicholetta’s house in Pizzi, but what I didn’t mention is that when I got back from dinner, there was another guy in the room I was in.  I was pretty shocked, having not been told that. (But I guess that’s what a boarding house is, huh?) It all worked out of course.

I was really perplexed how my lens cap broke off the string holding it to my camera on the way to Prizzi, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I spent 15 minutes looking for it.  I was so bummed.  Then when I pulled my hydration bladder out of my pack yesterday, it fell on the floor. I was supper happy.

Today:
Down, down, down I went into the Sicilian countryside, knowing I would have to go up again, but I would have three others to talk to on the way back.

Another little morsel of wisdom I was formulating as I walked.  Our assumptions block our ability to actually perceive things the way they really are. My first assumption was Camaratta was not so nice.  Turns out I’m near the start of three trails nearby. You saw the pictures.  And I’m right on the edge of adjoining town, San Giovanni Gemini, where all the restaurants are. Don’t assume the trail goes left, it may go right. Look at what’s really there. 




Looking back towards Camaratta with the big stack on the left being Sutera, where I hike to Wednesday after my three day break.
Down, down, down.
Castronova, the white slash under the mountain on the left.
Plowed fields waiting for the rain.  Hopefully not in four more days.

I met my Australian friends and walked back up the hill. We ran into a farmer along the way, and like other Sicilians I’ve encountered along the trail, they have a sense of pride and enthusiasm to see us hikers.  It feels super welcoming and authentic.


Here is the plan so far:  To keep the last four hikes in the 12KM range (8 miles MH) I have my taxi confirmed for Wednesday morning, to Aquaviva Plantina, half way to Campofranco.  I’ve sent pleas for help to the remaining lodgings I have along the way. Thursday’s ride looks promising.  I am just hopeful that I can work it out. The towns on this side of the island are bigger and closer together than the Palermo side, so that’s working in my favor.

Late addition:

I forgot what I learned on the trail today, which is another lesson.

I assumed the sweet little cafe I ate at early last night would be open.  It wasn’t ! Then I assumed there would be nothing open at 17:30 (5:30 PM MH).  I started to freak even though I had enough food at the hotel to live through the night. Two violations of my revelations.  There was a lovely sandwich take out with fries right there. Big ole sandwich with fries and only €6 or $6.25. 

Ciao peoples

WhatsApp +17072241531

Lemonspomagranet@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naples 2

11-7-23 To Caltanissetta

12-6-23 Palermo